Saturday, May 1, 2010

Buying extra credit points for LA class

Last Thursday I went to see the Apollo play called "The Elephant Man" by Bernard Pomerance.

The play itself was really well performed and I think the actors did an excellent job. What I thought was kind of funny is that my Language Arts teacher, who is the director of the play, sold tickets for all her students and gave away 25 extra credit points for everyone that purchased one from her. Way to get a big audience for the play!
Of course, most of my friends and I bought the tickets. There is no easier way to get 25 EC points :)

I just think it's kind of wrong that you can buy your EC points to increase your grade. Maybe that is just an American thing, but for me that was pretty odd.

1 comment:

  1. When I was in school our teacher may have required us to see the play then write a paper to earn the extra credit points. That may have been more appropriate as it would make you show what you have learned or experienced by attending the play. Other ways that we earned extra credit points were by answering "bonus" questions on tests, or completing special homework assignments. I also had teachers who would change the grades on tests if everyone in the class did poorly--for example, if the highest score was an 80%, the teacher would add 20 points to everyone's score.

    Do you think that extra credit should be allowed at all? If so, under what circumstances? Since we teach our kids at home, these are questions we get to decide for ourselves. Sometimes it's really tough!

    ReplyDelete